Ndutu Safari Lodge is situated in the South-eastern part of the Serengeti ecosystem. Shaded by majestic acacia trees, each of the thirty four cottages, which are built of local materials, has a private verandah facing Lake Ndutu. The Lodge is surrounded by indigenous trees and shrubs which encourage a host of birds and mammals to come right to your front door. Tucked well away from the busy tourist circuit, Ndutu offers peace and tranquillity far from the madding crowd.
Surrounded by giant, flat-topped acacias, with Lake Ndutu glittering beyond, Ndutu is the only lodge from which you can witness the spectacle of the wildebeest migration in the calving season, and on a sunny day when the grass is green there is nowhere else you would rather be.
NUMBER OF ROOMS: Ndutu Safari Lodge consists of 34 stone cottages that extend from the central, open-sided bar, lounge and dining room.
Room decor: All rooms built in a line facing Lake Ndutu. They are quaint but very comfortable and well maintained. The decor is simple with extremely comfortable pine beds and tables. The cottages are made from local materials and offer comfortable, tasteful accommodation
Room amenities: Each room has en suite facilities and a front verandah with a spectacular view that overlooks Lake Ndutu. Four rooms have a king-size bed; there are also four family rooms, which can accommodate up to four people. All other rooms have 2 single beds. All the rooms are single storey and are accessible with a wheel chair. All rooms have electric lights; there are also torches and candles in the rooms for use when the generator has been switched off at night
Special feature: The lodge overlooks Lake Ndutu which is a favorite water spot for numerous herds of game and a center point during the migration of wildebeest to the Central Serengeti.
Ndutu offers good quality home cooking. Many of the vegetables are supplied from Karatu. Breakfast is available from 7am onwards, for those wanting an earlier start they can either have a continental or picnic breakfast. A three-course lunch is served from 12.30pm through to 2pm. Dinner is a hearty four course affair and is served from 7.30pm through to 9pm.
Ndutu always offers a vegetarian alternative and are happy to cater for any special needs. From 6am onwards tea, coffee and biscuits are available throughout the day on a complimentary basis in the lounge area. They also offer herbal tea and decaffeinated coffee. Guests can also request early morning drinks to be delivered to their rooms.
- Generator power voltage is 220 Volts and uses the English 3 pin plugs.
- Ndutu accepts cash either in Tanzanian shillings, US$, or any other recognized major currency. Travelel cheques are also welcome. They also accept VISA, MasterCard, and JCB credit cards.
- There safekeeping facility at the reception.
- Ndutu offers a full laundry service. There are laundry bags in the rooms and items that are sent to the laundry in the morning are usually returned late afternoon - weather permitting! All laundry is hand washed
- Telephone, fax and email are available at the lodge. Internet access is also possible.
- There is a well-stocked gift shop at the lodge selling a wide range of curios and also a variety of toiletries and chocolates
- Wildlife videos and films
- Stroll through the woods with a ranger.
- Game viewing drives on 4x4 wheel drive vehicles
- From June through November, the plains are dry and the great herds gone. This is the time when the resident animals converge around Ndutu's waterholes and marshes - elephants, giraffes, impalas, every kind of cat, a profusion of birds.
- A million wildebeest, They come here during the rains, December through May. They calve on the plains in February, they gallop through the woodlands, and they swim across the lake.