Regularly voted one of the best hotels in the world, this unique lodge clings to the rim of the magnificent Ngorongoro Crater, the largest and most perfect volcanic crater on Earth. Long and low, the lodge is built from local river stone and camouflaged with indigenous vines. Designed to blend completely into the landscape, it is entirely invisible from the floor of the Crater 600 metres below.
Known as 'the eighth wonder of the world', the Ngorongoro Crater is one of Africa's best-known wildlife arenas. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, it offers a unique biosphere, which has remained virtually unchanged since the dawn of time. Deep within the Crater, enclosed by towering walls, some 25,000 large mammals wander the plains, lakes and forests of 'the land that time forgot', dominated by enormous bull elephants, rhinos and lions.
Hugging the contours of the jagged Crater rim, the lodge takes its inspiration from the so-called 'Cradle of Mankind', the prehistoric site of Olduvai Gorge, which lies close by. Linked by arched stone passages and timbered decks, its walls are decorated with stylized prehistoric cave paintings and lit by flaring torches. At the stone heart of the lodge burns a glowing fire, which is kept constantly alight. Decorated with cave paintings, the rooms are strung around the Crater rim. Each has its own rock- enclosed balcony, and all enjoy completely uninterrupted views of the volcanic amphitheatre far below.
NUMBER OR ROOMS:
75 rooms divided as below:-
- 66 rooms with two twin beds
- 08 rooms with three twin beds
- 1 Suites
The rooms are spacious with central heating, prehistoric cave paintings and balconies overlooking the Ngorongoro Crater. The furniture is created from rich hardwood timber.
All rooms are en suite, socket for shaving and hair dryer, wardrobes and telephones.Special feature:
Most of the rooms has a private terrace with uninterrupted views of the 102-square-mile crater floor that is now a rich wildlife habitat.
The lounge and dining room, with a capacity of 160, are set indoors overlooking the Ngoro ngoro Crater through large picture glass panels. All areas are complimented by log fires, which greatly enhance the atmosphere especially in the evenings. The unique design of the Lodge continues in the restaurant and bar with magnificent examples of prehistoric cave paintings found in the nearby Olduvai Gorge.
The full-service lounge has an outdoor balcony and a fixed telescope for guests', use. Fresh fruit juices, soft drinks, tea and coffee, cocktails, wines, spirits and liqueurs are available to guests throughout the day. It is a cozy place enhanced with comfortable easy chairs to relax in after a long safari or before and after meals.
- Currency exchange open 24 hours and use of credit card
- Nurse on call 24 hours,Flying Doctors Service available which includes emergency Medivac to hospital from nearby airstrip
- Daily laundry/pressing service
- Driver/maid accommodations. Babysitting services and children food on prior arrangement.
- Lunch boxes, fruit, flowers and celebration cakes on prior notice
- Binoculars and hairdryers available at reception desk
- Central safety deposit service available, free-of-charge- at the reception desk
- Voltage 240V in rooms; shaver outlets with both 110V & 240V. Adaptors available at the reception. Central heating System linked to the lodge's generators
- Shoe Cleaning Services
- Laundry and valet services
- Safari Boutique and Gift Shop
- Salon and Massage Parlour
- Secretarial and Internet services.
Available on request for a capacity of up to 75.
- Fitness Room Massage Services
- Masai Cultural Center
- Walking safaris
- Empakai crater day visit
- Visit to the Ngorongoro Crater
- Olduvai Gorge visit