Samburu Intrepids is a lush oasis on the banks of the great Uaso Nyiro River in Samburu Game Reserve. The tented lodge is a delight to be in - deliciously cooled by the river breeze and the forest. The luxury tented camp sits on raised decks overlooking the brown river where the elephants sometimes make an appearance or the crocodiles come out to lounge by the river's banks. Watch the Samburu Intrepids video here (9 mins)
Dry, rugged and stunning, Samburu's landscape is at once stark and sensual, with its iconic loaf shaped Lolokowe Mountain and hills spreading in every horizon. Its life lung is the Usao Nyiro River coursing through its craggy terrain full of stone, thorn bush and the forked doum palms. In this arid zone where water is scarce and the land baked by the eternal sun, herds of elephants and the big cats roam the plains with the Samburu special - the Reticulated giraffe, Grevy's zebra, Beisa oryx, Somali ostrich and the long necked antelope, the gerenuk easily seen despite its harsh climes.
25 modern luxurious tents (20 twins and 05 doubles)
Room dcor: Private terrace/deck for each tent with reclining chairs and footstools, facing the river. The main bedroom is separated from the en-suite facilities by a wall, rather than canvas, for more privacy.
Room amenities: All the tent bedrooms are spacious, have overhead electric fan, en-suite bathrooms with shower, 2 wash hand basins, flush WC, hot and cold water and shaving sockets.
Special features: Unique animals found in this reserve. The camp is popular for fly-in packages and game drives and airstrip transfers conducted in the camps special 4x4 wheel drive vehicles.
All the public areas are palm-thatched and because of the warm climate are, where possible, without walls. The dining room has a seating capacity of 60. There is also an external dining terrace, overlooking the river, where buffet breakfasts and lunches are served. The lounge, also with a wide terraced deck, houses a bar. There is also a swimming pool bar.
- Safe deposit boxes for valuables.
- Comfortable 4x4WD vehicles for game drives
- Curio shop
- Environmental Centre
- Laundry and Valet service
- Postal service
- Telephone/Fax Services available.
- Private dispensary for minor ailments and injuries
- Foreign currency exchange and use of Credit Cards
- Guaranteed hot water supply on the solar system reinforced with electrical back-up.
- Storage facilities for late-check-outs
- 240 volts electricity supply. Each tent has a socket for accessories and video camera battery charging
Available + modern audio and visual equipment
- Relaxing at the outdoor deck for each tent facing the river.
- Swimming pool.
- Use of the residents', reference library
- A variety of indoor games can be borrowed from reception.
- Organized game drives with professional driver/guides.
- Supervised children activities under the Adventurers Club.
- Camel Ride,
- Bush and bird walks,
- Cultural Safaris,
- Sundowner, bush breakfast and bush dinners
- Traditional dances performed in the evenings.